Pan Roasted Zesty Chicken
Today I woke up late because I had been fighting a stupid cold and needed the extra rest. I didn’t have anything planned for the slow cooker and we had just gotten back from a vacation at my mother’s which meant a lot of eating out. Luckily, I had this recipe hiding in my arsenal for a day like today. This is super easy, it’s quick and it uses the ever so economical (and flexible as far as cooking) chicken thigh. As you may be able to tell, I’m a huge fan of chicken thighs. They can withstand being slightly overcooked due to their higher moisture content and, as mentioned before, are a bit cheaper than the once-popular chicken breast. Not to mention, it only takes 40 minutes, including prep time.
I served this with a kale and Brussels sprout salad dressed with a nice lemon garlic vinaigrette found on Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts that complemented the flavors of the chicken. Enjoy!
Kosher Status : Meat
| Ingredients |
- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme (half, if using dried)
- one lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 garlic cloves, minced & divided
- 1 cup chardonnay
For garnish, chopped parsley
| Directions |
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Mix together olive oil, salt, paprika, thyme, lemon zest and juice, and half of the minced garlic cloves in a bowl. Add the chicken and toss to cover in seasonings. Refrigerate while oven comes to temperature.
- Heat a skillet to medium hot and add the margarine.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and brown well on both sides. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the minced garlic to the skillet with the juices produced from the chicken and sauce. Cook until fragrant, or for about one minute. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the wine to the skillet and cook for another minute. Return the chicken to the skillet and roast, uncovered, in the oven for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve the chicken with the pan sauce and a glass of the chardonnay.