Baking Pan Salmon with Roasted Broccoli
We need baking pan salmon. Something where we can cook a protein and a vegetable quickly and without generating much of a mess. We need that weeknight meal that requires so little prep work and few ingredients that it can be the activity we do in the background while we clean the house, pour over scholarly articles, or help our children with their homework. A meal that is healthy, boasting of heart-supporting fats from the fish and all the calcium, fiber, folate, and vitamin C that is broccoli (cooked in a manner that even broccoli-phobes, like my fiancé, will enjoy). This is something that everyone, regardless of skill-level or time, can make and feel good about putting into their bodies. I served mine with rice stick noodles, but you could serve it with pasta, rice, quinoa, polenta…whatever starch you want…even as a salad.
Inspired by a recipe in Bon Appetite
Kosher Status : Pareve
| Ingredients |
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, with 1 tablespoon set aside
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 6-oz salmon filets
- 1 jalapeño, cut into thin slices and seeded.
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar (use rice vinegar for it’s relatively mild flavor)
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
| Directions |
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- On a baking pan, toss broccoli with 3 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast the broccoli for about 10 minutes or until just beginning to brown.
- Remove pan from oven, clear a spot in the middle. Slide the salmon filets, both sides, around the pan to coat in the oil and seasoning, and then return the pan to continue roasting with the salmon filets in the middle for about another 10 minutes or until the salmon is opaque.
- In a small bowl, soak the chilies in the rice vinegar and a pinch of salt while the salmon roasts. Once the salmon has completed cooking, add some salt and pepper and the capers to the chile vinegar mix. Serve the salmon with the vinegar mix spooned over it.
Enjoy! Any tips on how to make cooking easier on a busy schedule? Leave them in the comments!