5 Days of Pressure Cooking: Resources & Pressure Cooker Chicken Adobo (Day 1)

26 January 2017
Without further ado, we begin our 5 days of Pressure Cooking recipes!  We’re starting off with a list of our favorite resources and a recipe for Pressure Cooker Chicken Adobo.  If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can convert many of these recipes to sous vide or to slow cooker, but I haven’t taken the time to make that conversion for you.  Do your research and share your results!

The Pressure Cooker: Just Another Trend

Or is it?  For what feels like decades the hot kitchen gadget has been the slow cooker.  And why not?! The slow cooker has been every busy adult’s saving grace by basically giving us another hand in the kitchen.  Just throw some ingredients into a pot in the morning and dinner is ready by the evening.  However, the slow cooker has had some misgivings.  1. It’s slow.  Yeah, that’s kind of the point, but sometimes we haven’t planned a meal.  Sometimes we need something we can pick up on the way home from work or school and throw together–quickly–to feed our families; 2. not all models of slow cookers are created equally which sometimes leads to failure via too much evaporation of cooking liquid or, even worse, burning of dinner; and 3. all that evaporation = loss of valuable nutrients.

This is where the pressure cooker comes in.  Pressure cookers work magic by trapping in the moisture in your food via a very tight seal.  Since the moisture, or more accurately, water can’t leave, it’s forced to stay inside the pot as the heat rises and the water molecules get very excited building up heat.  This brings the temperature in the pressure cooker to skyrocket beyond the boiling point even within the food itself.  Because of all this, pressure cookers are one of the fastest methods for cooking out there.  Imagine an 8-hour braise taking just 20 minutes or less.  The science behind pressure cookers is not as simple as all of that, but that’s the general idea of them.

The modern marvel: the Instant Pot

And, if you haven’t been living under a rock, you’ve likely heard of the Instant Pot, the multitasker electric pot that has a resume of skills most of us can’t boast.  In fact, NPR just ran a piece on the sudden rise of popularity of this new kitchen gadget.  For full disclaimer, I don’t own one of these and honestly, don’t know that I would.  I wouldn’t tell this to Instant Pot fans, though–they recently tore into America’s Test Kitchen for giving it a meh review on Facebook (I can’t find the thread, or else I’d link it for your viewing pleasure).  But I have been cooking with a pressure cooker for years and definitely can tell you it is worth the hype.

Just don’t take grandma’s secondhand one.  These things haven’t always been perfectly safe.

Pressure Cooker Chicken Adobo

This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small commission.  This is at no extra cost to you and helps us keep this blog running.

Resources for Pressure Cooking

If you’re one of the many who received an Instant Pot over the holidays, I’d like to share some resources with you:

1. Hip Pressure Cooking is probably one of my favorite websites all about this tool.  I’ve used their recipes and their resources for converting some of my favorite recipes from other methods to pressure cooker recipes.  The best thing is that this is a free resource.
  2. Pressure Cooker Perfection by America’s Test Kitchen was my favorite cookbook when I first started working a lot with pressure cookers.  I gave my copy away when a friend asked me for a resource.
  3.  Another free resource is to join a Facebook group for pressure cooking or, specifically, the Instant Pot.  I haven’t just found invaluable tips in these groups, I’ve actually made new friends.  Fancy that, social media being used to be social.

Pressure Cooker Chicken Adobo

Whether you use a stove top pressure cooker like mine or an Instant Pot, this Pressure Cooker Chicken Adobo should move up to your must-make list.  Chicken Adobo is probably one of the Philippines most beloved dishes (along with lumpia…mmm, lumpia) and for good reason.  It’s so easy and so delicious.  Simmered onions come together with a magical sauce and super juicy chicken legs.  Give it a try!

Print Recipe
Rating: 4
You:
Rate this recipe!
Add to Shopping List
This recipe is in your Shopping List
Instructions
  1. Add oil to the pot and brown your chicken. If using the Instant Pot, this can be done using the "saute" function.
  2. Briefly remove chicken and add shallot and garlic and saute for about 30 seconds.
  3. Add cayenne pepper and black pepper for about 20 seconds. Return chicken to the pot.
  4. Add all other ingredients to the pot. Seal your pressure cooker and allow it to come to high pressure. Set timer for 9 minutes after pressure reached.
  5. Once 9 minutes pass, remove pressure cooker from heat and release using natural release.
  6. Serve with rice.
Recipe Notes

Recommended products:

33 Comments

• Reply Josselyn Radillo 28 January 2017 at 8:46 am

that’s a great recipe and it looks so tasty!!

• Reply Ivonne 28 January 2017 at 9:47 am

Great post! I have to get myself an Instant Pot and have been looking at a few on Amazon. I love to cook but don’t always have the time running a busy household.

• Reply Chava 28 January 2017 at 9:49 am

It’s so true, a lot of us have that problem. I don’t necessarily have a busy household–no kids–but full-time school and full-time work, plus this blog, means my time is short!

• Reply Andrea R Warren (@WaldorfFries) 28 January 2017 at 10:01 am

I am completely out of the loop when it comes to the pressure cooker craze:) After looking at your recipes I really need to get with it!

• Reply Chava 28 January 2017 at 10:04 am

I think it’s a great way to add convenience in the kitchen! I’d eat out a lot more if it weren’t for me. Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply Mommy Travels 28 January 2017 at 10:31 am

I have not used a pressure cooker in years. Makes me think it’s time to pull it out.

• Reply Chava 28 January 2017 at 4:28 pm

Yes, you should! Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply waitingforrain28 28 January 2017 at 12:27 pm

I don’t have a pressure cooker, but I really wish that I did. This looks so good.

• Reply Chava 28 January 2017 at 4:29 pm

I really love mine. It’s been such a time saver.

• Reply jasminekeclipse 28 January 2017 at 5:32 pm

These are all awesome recipes! I love chicken adobo! Being Filipino and growing up in Hawaii, we had this all the time for dinner!

Jasmine / http://www.jasminekeclipse.com

• Reply Chava 28 January 2017 at 8:11 pm

Oh that’s great! I don’t think my recipe is completely traditional, but it’s tasty. I know Filipino soy sauce and fish sauce are a bit different from the more readily available Chinese soy sauce we can get in my area.

• Reply Amber 28 January 2017 at 5:49 pm

I got one for Christmas and have yet to use it. Maybe I’ll try out this recipe to break it in. It sounds amazing.

• Reply Chava 28 January 2017 at 8:11 pm

Did you get an Instant Pot? I’m starting to wonder if I want to get an Instant Pot, after all. My research for the series is starting to sway me!

• Reply Jessica 28 January 2017 at 7:19 pm

My husband has plans to get me a pressure cooker for Valentines day because so many recipes I find require one. Once I get it, I will try these recipes. This one look really delicious!

• Reply Chava 28 January 2017 at 8:12 pm

Thank you! That’s wonderful that he’s getting you one. I hope you enjoy it.

• Reply Rose 28 January 2017 at 9:10 pm

I don’t have a pressure cooker. My mother had one and used it when I was growing up. I’m not really sure what she cooked in it though.

• Reply Chava 29 January 2017 at 4:58 pm

A lot of people just use them for canning. Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply Sylvia @ Happiness is homemade 29 January 2017 at 10:10 am

Oh my this chicken looks incredibly scrumptious! I don’t have a pressure cooker but I remember both my Nan had one of those and the food they used to make was always so delicious 🙂

• Reply Chava 29 January 2017 at 5:00 pm

Thank you! My grandma and I would cook with one. I had no idea how dangerous those old style ones were at the time, though!

• Reply chelseadaigle 29 January 2017 at 9:34 pm

This makes me wish I had a pressure cooker.

• Reply Chava 2 February 2017 at 9:13 am

It’s one of my most helpful tools in the kitchen.

• Reply heather with WELLFITANDFED 29 January 2017 at 10:00 pm

Never used a pressure cooker and just starting to use a slow cooker! I can’t believe it! Making bone broth this week!

• Reply Blair Villanueva 30 January 2017 at 12:55 am

Awesome and quick recipe! Am been looking something like this, and glad I visit your page. Bookmarking this!

• Reply lex 30 January 2017 at 5:01 pm

Your recipe is nice, cool and easy steps to follow if I decide to try this.

• Reply angie the freckled rose 30 January 2017 at 9:42 pm

I received the instant pot over Christmas, so this is extremely helpful! I’m always looking for new and delicious recipes to try with it. I love chicken adobo in general, so I will definitely have to give it a try!

• Reply adobobitesblog 30 January 2017 at 10:08 pm

I never knew of using a pressure cooker to cook adobo, that is a big time saver. Great tips.

-Adobo Bites (http://www.adobobites.com)

• Reply Chava 2 February 2017 at 9:12 am

Thanks for stopping by! Your recipe looks delicious too, and is also a quick one.

• Reply Beauty and Curves 1 February 2017 at 11:34 pm

Thanks for the recipe. I will for sure try it at home

• Reply Chava 2 February 2017 at 9:09 am

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you like it.

• Reply Sondra Barker 2 February 2017 at 7:49 pm

Chicken Adobo is one of my favorite dishes of all time! I’ve never made it in a pressure cooker though!

• Reply Chava 2 February 2017 at 8:25 pm

It’s seriously one of the tastiest recipes, isn’t it? Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply @PettigrewReview 10 February 2017 at 4:04 pm

I wasn’t even hungry before this thread, but now I am. So yum!

• Reply 19 Delicious and Quick Instant Pot Eats! - Awe Filled Homemaker 20 March 2017 at 10:30 pm

[…] Chicken Adobo is probably one of the Philippines most beloved dishes and for good […]

• What do YOU think?