Brown Butter Salmon & Time Management Tips

2 April 2017

This post may include affiliate links.  Please see our complete disclosure here.

If I could go back in time, right now I’d choose to go back to when I registered for classes for this semester.  I would have shaken myself and asked me if I was crazy, and why did I think it was OK to register for a 13 credit load.  Particularly, one which includes Constitutional Law and College Algebra (I am not a math person).  However, as popular culture has educated us, messing with the past is tricky business–if I had done that, I wouldn’t have learned how easy brown butter salmon is.

Brown Butter Salmon

Time Management Tips for Adult Students

The truth is, going to college as an adult with a full-time job, home ownership (including HOA) duties, and all the other things on our plates is hard.  But it’s do-able.  Here are my tips for how I succeed in school, get everything turned in on time, and still work full-time at the law firm and here on the blog:

• Use a planner.  Whether it’s old-school pen & paper style (use something you love, like The Simple Elephant) or an online project management tool (I like Asana), you’re going to need to keep track of all the many deadlines in your life.
  • Be a morning person. If you’re a night owl by nature like me, I know you didn’t want to read this.  But trust me when I say that getting up a couple of hours early to get some study or homework time in will save your behind.
  • Read your syllabus early and adhere to it. Those syllabi aren’t handed out just to give you something to doodle on.  Read it and understand the curriculum.  Ask questions.  If you’re taking online classes, double check the anticipated hours per week for the course and be clear on deadlines.  If you’re taking a course you’re not super fond of (*ahem* algebra), then allot yourself extra time to work on that class.
  • Communicate. This isn’t so much a time management tip as it is a life tip.  If you see yourself falling behind, don’t be too proud to call or meet with your professor and explain.  I have only had to be late once and a little advance explaining helped me not take a hit to my grades as a result.  That said, this was only after it had been established that this was not going to be a habit.

Brown Butter Salmon

Not only is brown butter salmon easy, it also tastes like high-end dining.  Shop smart for your salmon and herbs (or grow your own herbs) and this could be a budget dinner.

Brown Butter Salmon

Rating: 5
You:
Rate this recipe!
Add to Shopping List
This recipe is in your Shopping List
Instructions
  1. Place your butter in a heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium high heat.
  2. Watch your butter--you need to observe it. It will begin to foam, then bubble, and then it will start to make popping noises. The noises will intensify, and then your milk solids will settle to the bottom of the pan. It should smell "nutty."
  3. Remove pan from heat and add herbs. Be careful of splatters--the herbs contain trace amounts of water and will start the popping again.
  4. Set butter aside. Preheat oven to 365 F/190 C.
  5. On a baking sheet, lightly coat your salmon with olive oil and salt and pepper.
  6. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, stopping half way to brush a little browned butter on the fillets, until easily flaked with a fork.
  7. Drizzle the finished fillets with the butter. Serve with steamed vegetables and roasted fingerling potatoes.

Nutrition Facts
Sugars 0.1g
Protein 11g 22%
Vitamin A 6%
Vitamin C 5%
Calcium 1%
Iron 2%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Recommended Products

24 Comments

• Reply waitingforrain28 2 April 2017 at 2:09 pm

Salmon is my favorite food. I eat it in sushi form, and cooked too, of course. So, this recipe is right up my alley. I need to give it a try.

• Reply Chava 2 April 2017 at 8:42 pm

Salmon belly is one of my favorite sushi proteins. Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply Suze 2 April 2017 at 3:44 pm

I really enjoy salmon too, and I find that if I eat it in the evening, it really helps to keep the weight off

• Reply Chava 2 April 2017 at 8:43 pm

That’s a great tip–I’m trying to move toward eating better in the evening. I tend to reach for quick and easy for dinner after work and while doing my homework and it shows.

• Reply Amber 2 April 2017 at 8:59 pm

I don’t like seafood, but this actually sounds delicious. I’d give it a taste for sure.

• Reply Chava 3 April 2017 at 8:39 am

It never hurts to try. It doesn’t taste overly fishy. Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply Krysti Jaims 3 April 2017 at 12:35 am

Yum! I absolutely love salmon and this recipe looks divine! Definitely saving.

• Reply Chava 3 April 2017 at 8:39 am

Salmon is one of my favorite foods. Thank you!

• Reply Blair Villanueva 3 April 2017 at 4:29 am

Hhmm am craving for some good salmon this time. I want it 🙂

• Reply Chava 3 April 2017 at 8:40 am

Time for you to get yourself some salmon, girl!

• Reply Andrea R Warren (@WaldorfFries) 3 April 2017 at 8:32 am

I love salmon. This recipe looks incredible I am pinning it for sure

• Reply Chava 3 April 2017 at 8:42 am

Yay! We love salmon too–in fact it’s one of our favorite foods!

• Reply Elaine @ Dishes Delish 3 April 2017 at 8:56 am

I love salmon and love to find different recipes for it. I like your ideas for time management. It actually is helpful even if you’re not a student.

• Reply Chava 3 April 2017 at 9:01 am

Absolutely–it’s helpful for anyone with a full plate. Thank you!

• Reply Janine Good 3 April 2017 at 10:16 am

Salmon is such a tasty fish! This looks so delicious. I love brown butter.

• Reply Shelby bromley 3 April 2017 at 8:35 pm

I eat salmon a few times a month, I’ll have to try this recipe and switch things up!

• Reply Lux G. 3 April 2017 at 10:25 pm

I’ve always been looking for salmon recipes. Will try this one. 🙂

• Reply Megan Watney 4 April 2017 at 9:37 am

This look SO delicious. Definitely trying this recipe over the weekend for sure!

• Reply Girl in Therapy 4 April 2017 at 10:28 am

I guess your message is: Everything happens for a reason. And with that, you were blessed with the discovery that brown butter salmon was an “unexpected” dish… that is this easy and tasty ^_^

Time management is a toughie for me. But everyday is a new day for me to try, try, try again!

• Reply Chava 4 April 2017 at 11:14 am

I’m not sure if I truly believe everything happens for a reason, but I do believe we can take control of the consequences and spin them into something good for us. In this case, it was an easy and tasty salmon dish that I was pleasantly surprised by. Thank you for the thoughtful comment!

• Reply Beyond the Chicken Coop 5 April 2017 at 7:02 am

Looks like a delicious, easy way to get dinner on the table!

• Reply Ana Rose | Roads and Pages 6 April 2017 at 6:30 am

I love your time management tips. I am going to enroll for a summer class soon. Your tips are really valuable for me as I can use this in order to keep away from stress. I haven’t tasted a brown butter salmon yet. Your post about it raises my curiosity.

• Reply Chava 6 April 2017 at 7:31 am

Thanks for the feedback, Ana! Good luck with your class this summer. What are you studying?

• Reply Kristen R. 8 April 2017 at 10:14 am

Great looking simple recipe, especially the step-by-step on how to brown butter. Thank you for sharing!

• What do YOU think?